Do I Need a Party Wall Agreement for My Extension?

If you want to build an extension, you may be wondering if you need a party wall agreement before getting started. It is certainly worth making sure you have an agreement in place if needed, as otherwise you could face huge issues down the line. At the very least you could seriously fall out with your neighbour.

A party wall agreement is the written consent between neighbours regarding works at or near their joining boundary. If you want to carry out certain work, you will need to serve a party wall notice. However, this is not necessary for all work. Projects such as hanging new kitchen cupboards on a party wall are fine to complete without informing your neighbour. However, something more major such as demolishing and rebuilding that wall or extending the wall for a loft conversion would certainly require you to serve a party wall notice.

Are you wondering if your extension project requires a party wall agreement? Follow our simple flowchart to help you decide…

flow chart

party wall flowchart

Real world examples

We all want to get along with our neighbours and we certainly want to stay on the right side of the law. That is why it is so important to follow the correct procedure regarding party wall matters. We can not possibly cover every type of extension project but we have included a few more examples to help you decide if you may need to serve a party wall notice and seek a party wall agreement:

Knocking a wall down between two rooms and adding a steel beam to create one room

If a party wall is not affected, you do not need a party wall agreement. However, if the steel beam will sit in or on the party wall then you will need an agreement.

Building an extension or garden room

If you are digging foundations within 3m of any of your neighbour’s buildings or even their garden wall, you will need a party wall agreement. (Fences do not count.) Also, if your building is on the boundary line or impacts a party wall, you will need an agreement.

Creating a basement

If your work is within 3m of your neighbour’s buildings/structures you will need a party wall agreement.

Get in touch

Hopefully, you are a little clearer on whether you need a party wall agreement for your extension or not. If you need help making sure you follow all correct procedures, please get in touch. Our team of Chartered Surveyors are experienced with the Party Wall Act and can help you decide the best course of action while keeping on good terms with your neighbours.

We can also provide schedules of conditions before and after work, which can be invaluable if disputes arise. Please get in touch to find out more.