If you’re buying a brand-new home, you’ll expect to find it in perfect condition when you move in. Unfortunately, even the most respected property developers can leave a new-build home with snags, which may range from small and cosmetic problems to more significant defects.

A New-Build Snagging Inspection is a detailed assessment that should be conducted by a professional building surveyor to check the quality of workmanship in your new home against the appropriate building standards.

Find out more about what a New-Build Snagging Inspection entails and then contact Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors to talk about commissioning an expert, independent snagging survey for your new home.

An expert, independent snagging survey will help make your move less stressful

Buying a new home can be an exhausting process, but there are steps you can take to make it as seamless and stress free as possible. 

What is a New-Build Snagging List?

A New-Build Snagging List will check for any problems, from doors and windows that don’t close properly, minor cracks in walls to more serious issues with kitchens, bathrooms or the structure of the property.

You can have an independent snagging survey carried out during the first two years after you’ve moved into your new home and your developer must repair any defects you report within that time. By far the best time to commission a professional New-Build Snagging Inspection is before you exchange contracts, so your developer has plenty of time to put things right before you move in

Do I need a snagging list?

A new-build home should be completely-problem free, but some of the best new homes can come with snags that can be frustrating to live with and costly to repair. The latest satisfaction surveys prepared by the Home Builders Federation have shown that 99% of new build homeowners had to report ‘snags’ or ‘defects’ to their builder after moving in.

If you’re buying a new-build home and want to find out more about a New-Build Snagging Inspection, talk to Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors and we’ll give you all the information and support you need to make your move easier.

  • A survey to identify and report problems on new-build properties
  • Covers minor defects to more significant structural problems
  • Your developer must put any defects right within two years of completion 
IRV Assessments - Trinity Rose



Do I have to have a Home Condition Report?

It is not a legal requirement to have a survey, but we would always advice a prospective purchaser to instruct a professional chartered surveyor to carry out at least an RICS Level 1 Survey to give you peace of mind that your property is in a good condition before you buy. You can read more about Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors’ Home Condition Reports here.

What’s the difference between a Home Condition Report and a HomeBuyer Report?

A HomeBuyer report will cost a little more than a Home Condition Report, but will also include more comprehensive information on the building and location, legal considerations as well as issues that might affect its value. A HomeBuyer Report (Survey and Valuation) will also give you a market valuation and insurance rebuild cost assessment. Read more about Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors’ HomeBuyer Reports here.

What will a Building Survey tell me about my Grade II listed property?

If you’re the owner of a listed property or are planning to purchase a listed building, Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors uses experience in building pathology, construction techniques and materials, architectural history and conservation to give you a full picture of your property. Read more about Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors’ Building Surveys here.

What’s the difference between a Limited Defects Report and a home survey?

A Limited Defects Report refers to specific concerns that a homeowner or prospective purchaser may have about the building. For example, if you’re worried about excessive cracks in walls or an uneven roof, Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors can give you a focused diagnosis on how serious or costly the defect may be to resolve. Read more about Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors’ Limited Defect Reports here.

I’m about to buy a new-build property, but there are so many problems – how I do deal with them?

If you’re buying a new-build home, there are often snags, or defects, that will need to be put right by the developer. A New-Build Snagging Inspection will give you a detailed report that you can give your developer to get all snags fixed before you move in if you commission the inspection early. Read more about Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors’ New-Build Snagging Inspections here.

Can you value my Shared Ownership property so I can purchase more shares?

If you’ve bought a property using a Shared Ownership scheme, Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors can provide you with a valuation so you’ll know how much your property is worth and how much it will cost to purchase extra shares through staircasing. Read more about Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors’ valuation services here.

Trinity House, 123 Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Hampshire SO53 2DR

t: 01962 880426

Top Floor, Trinity House, 123 Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Hampshire SO53 2DR

t: 01962 888900

Trinity House, 123 Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Hampshire SO53 2DR

t: 01962 880426