A Level 2 HomeBuyer Report is perfectly suited to conventional properties, typically those less than 100 years old and those that have not been substantially altered. It will give you more detailed information than a Home Condition Report, but is still focused on issues that could affect the proposed transaction. As such, it is less comprehensive than a Level 3 Building Survey report.

You’ll have a choice of two types of HomeBuyer Reports. A HomeBuyer Report (Survey) and a HomeBuyer Report (Survey and Valuation). Both will give you a detailed and comprehensive review of your property that adheres to all RICS standards, which maintains the benchmark for best survey practice.

Take a closer look at the different HomeBuyer options that are available, then contact us to book your Level 2 Survey that’ll give you peace of mind for your home purchase.

A HomeBuyer Report survey to give buyers peace of mind

A HomeBuyer Report is a survey that will find and record both visible and potential problems in a property that could cause damage and require future work. There are two HomeBuyer Reports available and both use the simple ‘traffic light’ condition rating system.

What is included in RICS HomeBuyer Report?

A HomeBuyer Report (Survey) will include many of the same features of the Home Condition Report, with background information on the property and setting.

It includes an assessment of the key building elements as well as a review of:

  • timber/damp issues
  • drainage
  • insulation
  • Japanese knotweed
  • subsidence 
  • visual inspection of all major indoor features including ceilings, roof, walls, and bathrooms
  • visual inspection of  the roof, pipes, gutters, outdoor walls, windows, and doors. 

The focus of the report will be on serious or urgent problems that could need specialist attention, costly repairs and those which might affect the property’s value. 

A HomeBuyer Report (Survey and Valuation) will include everything in a HomeBuyer Report (Survey), plus a market valuation and insurance rebuild cost. It will include the same level of advice on defects that may affect the value of the property with simple advice and recommendations for repairs and further investigation.

What type of property is a homebuyer report for? 

A HomeBuyer Survey is a survey suitable for conventional properties in reasonable condition.

Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors provides a comprehensive range of bespoke survey-related services for private homeowners – if you’d like to find out if a Level 2 HomeBuyer Report is right for you, please get in touch.

  • Jargon-free English with colour-coded condition and energy performance ratings
  • Advice on what you should do before exchange
  • Suitable for conventional, substantially unaltered properties in a reasonable condition
  • Peace of mind that you know about any problems before you buy a property
  • Optional valuation and insurance reinstatement cost assessment

We offer Level 2 Surveys in Hampshire and Surrey including Alton, Alresford, Farnham, Chandlers Ford, Bishops Waltham, Park Gate, SouthamptonWinchester Romsey, Lymington, Lyndhurst, Salisbury, Christchurch, BournemouthBasingstokePortsmouth, Poole, Parkstone, Brockenhurst, Ringwood, Verwood, Fordingbridge, The New Forest and Wimborne and the surrounding areas.

house interiors
homebuyers survey for flats
survey report
valuation survey









Do I have to have a Home Condition Report?

It is not a legal requirement to have a survey, but we would always advice a prospective purchaser to instruct a professional chartered surveyor to carry out at least an RICS Level 1 Survey to give you peace of mind that your property is in a good condition before you buy. You can read more about Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors’ Home Condition Reports here.

What’s the difference between a Home Condition Report and a HomeBuyer Report?

A HomeBuyer report will cost a little more than a Home Condition Report, but will also include more comprehensive information on the building and location, legal considerations as well as issues that might affect its value. A HomeBuyer Report (Survey and Valuation) will also give you a market valuation and insurance rebuild cost assessment. Read more about Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors’ HomeBuyer Reports here.

What will a Building Survey tell me about my Grade II listed property?

If you’re the owner of a listed property or are planning to purchase a listed building, Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors uses experience in building pathology, construction techniques and materials, architectural history and conservation to give you a full picture of your property. Read more about Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors’ Building Surveys here.

What’s the difference between a Limited Defects Report and a home survey?

A Limited Defects Report refers to specific concerns that a homeowner or prospective purchaser may have about the building. For example, if you’re worried about excessive cracks in walls or an uneven roof, Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors can give you a focused diagnosis on how serious or costly the defect may be to resolve. Read more about Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors’ Limited Defect Reports here.

I’m about to buy a new-build property, but there are so many problems – how I do deal with them?

If you’re buying a new-build home, there are often snags, or defects, that will need to be put right by the developer. A New-Build Snagging Inspection will give you a detailed report that you can give your developer to get all snags fixed before you move in if you commission the inspection early. Read more about Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors’ New-Build Snagging Inspections here.

What is the difference between a Level 2 (Homebuyer report) and Level 3 survey (building survey?

The Level 3 survey offers the most detailed insight into the condition of a property. Level 3 reports can be adapted to suit the specific needs of the recipient. The surveyor can specifically look at areas of interest to the client. Level 3 survey (building survey) is more detailed than Level 2 Homebuyer report and suitable for older properties and homes with significant changes or home that require major works. It includes roof inspection, inspection of the condition of floors and surfaces as well as windows. You can find out more about Level 3 survey here


Trinity House, 123 Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Hampshire SO53 2DR

t: 01962 880426


Trinity House, 123 Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Hampshire SO53 2DR

t: 01962 888900


Trinity House, 123 Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Hampshire SO53 2DR

t: 02382 002500

RICS logo
part of charters group