A party wall matter typically relates to development at or near a ‘line of junction’ between the buildings of two separate property owners that is deemed notifiable under the Party Wall Etc. Act 1996.  Often the process can result in disputes when it comes to building works that could affect a neighbouring building.

A professional chartered surveyor skilled in the application of the Party Wall Etc. Act 1996 can help when it comes to resolving issues fairly.

Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors provides expert, independent advice on party wall and neighbourly matters – read more about our services then talk to us if you’d like us to help you.

Expert, professional party wall surveying support that resolves disputes fairly

What is a party wall matter?

Everyone wants to maintain good relationships with their neighbours, but sometimes, if a party wall matter becomes a bone of contention when building works are involved, an independent chartered surveyor who specialises in party wall matters can help to resolve the dispute.

What does the Party Wall Act do?

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 provides the legal basis for the prevention and resolution of disputes over party walls, boundaries and excavations around neighbouring buildings. If building works are proposed, such as a weathering detail or foundations for a new extension or a loft conversion, the Act sets a pathway for the preparation and service of notices and the preparation of a formal Party Wall Award. Which sets out the rights and responsibilities of the building owner (the party responsible for carrying out the work) and the adjoining owner (the party affected by the proposed work).  

It is generally accepted that, due to the technical nature of the Act, surveyors should be appointed to oversee the preparation and service of notices and awards.

How can we help with party wall and neighbourly matters? 

Trinity Rose Chartered Surveyors acts for property owners contemplating building works close to neighbouring properties and also for those who have been served notices under the Act. Party wall surveyors have a duty to resolve party wall disputes in an impartial and practical way and we work hard to ensure disagreements are settled quickly and seamlessly and that, wherever possible, good neighbourly relationships are maintained.

Need help? Get in touch

If you’ve been served a notice for works by a neighbour or if you’re thinking of conducting work that might prove sensitive, get in touch and we’ll give you the information and reassurance you need to make the right decision.

  • Independent party wall surveyors for building or adjoining owners
  • Expert support to resolve party wall disputes 
  • Correct application and administration of The Party Wall etc. Act 1996
  • Experienced chartered surveyors with construction expertise and knowledge of procedures under the Act



Trinity House, 123 Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Hampshire SO53 2DR

t: 01962 880426

Top Floor, Trinity House, 123 Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Hampshire SO53 2DR

t: 01962 888900

Trinity House, 123 Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Hampshire SO53 2DR

t: 01962 880426