What is a Chartered Surveyor

What is a Chartered Surveyor?

If you’re thinking of using the services of a surveyor, you may have already searched for local professionals. A term you may have come across is ‘Chartered Surveyor’ or ‘RICS Chartered Surveyor’ but what does this mean and what implications can it have for you, the client?

What is a Chartered Surveyor?

A Chartered Surveyor is a professionally qualified surveyor who can inspect a property and/or check it for defects, issues and potential future problems. Their report will be accurate and trustworthy, and they will work to a strict code of conduct set by their governing body, the RICS.

If your surveyor is registered on the RICS Valuation Registration Scheme (VRS) they will also carry the designation ‘Registered Valuer’ and can conduct ‘Red Book’ compliant property valuations.

What does a Chartered Surveyor do?

The role of a Chartered Surveyor depends on what you need. In a nutshell, they will visit a property, inspect it and use their expertise and experience to check for current and future problems. The things they uncover can include minor aesthetic ‘snags’ for a snagging list through to major structural issues, damp, Japanese knotweed, infestations and much more.

Once they’ve completed their assessment, your Chartered Surveyor will compile a jargon-free report detailing their findings. You can then use this information and present it as evidence if you decide to negotiate a house price, for example.

However you use the report, your mind will be put at rest that a trusted professional has inspected the property and nothing has been left to chance.

When do I need a Chartered Surveyor?

There are numerous occasions that the services of a Chartered Surveyor can prove invaluable. For example:

  • When buying a house, it is extremely sensible to get a survey to check for issues or potential future problems.
  • When buying a new build, although you may not feel the need for an in-depth structural survey, a snagging report will highlight a range of relatively small problems for the developer to address at their expense before you move in.
  • If you’re concerned about a specific issue at your property e.g. mould, cracks in walls etc., a Chartered Surveyor can carry out a limited defect report and advise on best next steps.
  • An RICS Registered Valuer can provide accurate valuation advice to assist in the purchase decision-making process.

How do they become a Chartered Surveyor?

In order to become a Chartered Surveyor or RICS Chartered Surveyor as they’re also known, your chosen professional will have:

  • Completed a degree accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
  • Gained experience and completed an Assessment of Professional Competence (APC)
  • Passed their APC final assessment and been awarded RICS membership

RICS members continue their professional development throughout their working life with ongoing training: keeping their knowledge up to date.